The Idea of Bringing Standardization to the Merchant Profession
“Competition improves quality!”
The accuracy of this general statement is possible by establishing profitability, which is the main argument of business. While competition increases quality, profitability should increase depending on quality. It will be meaningful to trade in this reality, and the merchant will become a respected profession. One of the main problems of the merchant profession in our country is that it is open to unfair competition and its profitability decreases day by day. Profitability is thought, a loss is at the final point, and reputation is also negatively affected. However, it is “a merchant by trade”.
– Especially as an output of the rapid economic change after 2000, many businesses belonging to the same line of business are concentrated in certain centers. This concentration should not be perceived as a “cluster” with optimal operating size. It is completely unreal. The feasibility of the investment site, the size of the investment (optimality), the demand tendency directly related to the demographic structure, stability and continuity, not adversely affecting the competition, social responsibility, quality production and service are not respected by modern norms that affect profitability.
– Today’s dominant picture; It can be summarized that there are no public measures and sanctions that will protect investors’ capital, keep their profitability at a sustainable level, and prevent unfair competition.
– There is no legal infrastructure that contains strong sanctions to prevent this while it is objectionable for businesses with the same occupation subject to concentrate in the same region. Everyone can do whatever job they want using the “trader” identity. There is a structure where everyone can be a merchant at any time.
– Today, serious norms have been determined in the name of business administration in EU countries and other modern economies and these norms are applied persistently. If we continue with the example in terms of being understandable; How many restaurant businesses are needed in a locality is determined by considering a number of criteria belonging to that neighborhood. These criteria are determined in a wide range from demographic structure to the economic profile of that demographic structure and liquid circulation in that location. While determining the criteria and standards for that neighborhood, the number of standards have been determined for the merchant who will open an enterprise in that locality. The trader with the specified standards can open a business in the place with the determined standards. If five restaurants are needed in that location, it is never allowed to open another one. If you want to open a restaurant at that location, you have to wait for one of the existing ones to close or open a business in other locations where it is needed.
– In our age, accredited standards come to the fore in many goods and services and it is emphasized that the standard means quality. While there are a serious perception and market at the point of establishment of standardized goods and services, it is quite reasonable to demand that certain standards are brought for the merchant profession, which is the cornerstone of economic life. While it is possible to standardize the numbering and follow-up of each egg, it is imperative to bring a standard to the merchant profession that guides our business world, forming the capillaries and main vessels, if standardization of the earring and monitoring of each bovine and/or ovine is deemed necessary.
– Trading certain products periodically can be profitable. At this point, with the motive of earning more, entering the fields and creating unfair competition by going out of the main field of business and mostly informally. If we give a more concrete example; Although its main occupation is a grocery, hazelnut, wheat, olive etc. in a corner of the grocery store. it can be seen that it is being traded. This absurd situation is a problem not only for hazelnuts but for many sectors and continues to be a problem. The fact that everyone has the opportunity to do everything has nothing to do with the principle of “trade is free”. Everyone should do the work that is competent and certified.
– While we have legal practices that can standardize trafficking and get benefits, the subject should be put on our hot agenda. While the laws and regulations related to Vocational Qualification set an example for legal infrastructures that may be beneficial for standardization of commerce, it is necessary to determine and operate similar standards for commerce, just as it requires certification to establish the business in occupational groups such as barbershop, pharmacy. Again, the “Draft Law on the Regulation of Retail Trade”, which has been opened to public debate these days, and the efforts to introduce a standardization to the merchant profession should be initiated by taking the benefit of the law that will likely come out, and the issue should be opened to discussion.
– In a more understandable way; The merchant must be subjected to certification.
– Unfortunately, the history of many sectors in this country is full of stories of sunken businesses. No trader will set up a business to bring down. Since the profitability and quality principle is impaired due to unfair competition, the strength of the enterprises’ decreases and the profession of the merchant is losing credibility. It is very simple to do; The profession of trade, which produces, sells and forms the basis of the market economy, should be standardized and this standardization should be placed on legal ground.
One of the factors underlying the bankruptcy and loss of businesses is the “wrong place of investment preferences”. The absence of standardization in investment location preferences also eliminates the principle of profitability. Losses of businesses that go bankrupt by a loss have negative effects not only to themselves but also to all institutions and organizations related to the business.
– There is no reliable database of the merchant profession and its business activity today. With the availability of a reliable database, it has not been established in which sectors and locations that the amount of investment will increase and the competition will not deteriorate. There is no scientific data available to guide investment decisions.
– It should be included in the “Strategic Commercial Plan” to be prepared for the province in general, in which sector and at what level to invest in a city, and this plan should be decisive for the authorities that will allow the opening of a commercial enterprise. Commercial Strategic Plan will consist of the commission for the preparation of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey, in general, has 1.5 million members in this day should always be included.
– Those who have been established in contradiction with the Strategic Commercial Plan or those who operate informally without being established should be brought serious penal sanctions with other primary and secondary legislation to be prepared, especially the Turkish Commercial Code. These attitudes of the companies that will not be established in accordance with the Strategic Commercial Plan should be perceived as a crime that would require criminal sanctions and necessary actions should be taken in accordance with the Fourth Section titled “Unfair Competition” of the Turkish Commercial Code No. 6102.
– In addition, supports and incentives should be provided to businesses established in accordance with the Strategic Business Plan and duly established, and businesses that choose informality or fall outside the scope of the Strategic Business Plan should not benefit from these supports and incentives.
– All these applications are possible with healthy and continuous audits. While the relevant ministry can carry out these inspections in person, it may delegate its authority to conduct inspections partially or completely to the Chambers and Commodity Exchanges in the provinces.
The world all the way to take in the standardization process in Turkey to stay out of these standards in the EU integration process is of course not possible. The following days when the titles on the EU Acquis are discussed, it is also an opportunity to establish radical and contemporary standards in our working life. We believe that the draft of the Retail Trade Law and the support of the Turkish Trade Law should set standards for the profession of the merchant.
The biggest problem of our working life today is unregistered employment and production. It has the opportunity to operate as a merchant in the field it wishes. This opportunity is perceived as “free market economy”; essentially, this opportunity is the main reason that disrupts the free market economy, creates unfair competition and negatively affects economic data. A standard should be introduced to the trade professionals, and maximum care should be taken in applying it to this standard.